Monday, February 21, 2011

walking the labyrinth in New Zealand

while here in New Zealand i've connected with the Maori symbol...the KORU...which is depicted as a circular swirl. i've purchased one to wear around my neck. it means "new beginnings".

it reminds me of the ancient contemplative tool of prayer called a Labyrinth. i have taken a seminar about utilizing the labyrinth for contemplative prayer when i lived in Seattle and had the opportunity to walk one there. years later i walked one at the ancient monastic site in Glendalough, Ireland. and recently found a labyrinth in Boise, Idaho where i live.

today while in Hamilton...i had the amazing opportunity to walk a prayer labryinth at an Anglican Retreat Center...

it was on the grounds of the center...created by cutting out the design in the grass...

it's quite a relaxing experience to walk and pray into the center and back out again...i love how it calms my mind and my spirit and helps me to focus on listening to the voice of God in my heart.

i feel very blessed to have been able to experience this ancient practice while here in New Zealand...it was like a little romantic journey for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment